1. Computing

Jennifer Kyrnin

Poll: Do you pay for domain privacy protection?

By June 3, 2010

When you purchase a new domain name nearly every domain registrar will offer you the chance to get "privacy protection" for your domain. This is because the information that you provide about who owns and manages your domain is put out publicly where anyone can find it.

For example, if you do a whois lookup on About.com, you'll find that they are based in New York, with a phone number of (212) 204-4000 and an email address of adminbox@about.com. You can also find their mailing address there.

Many people are uncomfortable with that level of exposure, and so domain registrars offer privacy protection, usually for a yearly fee. Do you set up privacy protection on your domains? Why or why not?

Comments
June 3, 2010 at 7:37 am
(1) Tara says:

I voted “No”. But one place I use includes domain privacy protection in the domain charge, but the other place I uses used to be free, but charges now, but offers promo codes to get it for free.

I think it should be free, but I don’t mind paying for it. However, the place I use that recently started charging, changed it without notifying the customers, so when i found out, I was a bit unhappy.

June 3, 2010 at 8:36 am
(2) Chris from AB Web Design, LLC says:

It completely depends on what the domain is for… If it is business related, no. If it is a personal project, yes.

June 4, 2010 at 7:58 am
(3) Web Redesign says:

I completely agree with Chris :)

June 5, 2010 at 11:54 am
(4) Alan says:

I use domain privacy protection for all my domains. I don’t pay for this as all the providers I use offer it as a free option.

June 8, 2010 at 9:54 am
(5) SYED RAFAY ZAHOORI says:

Thank you for this Positive Action,In this Regard , Iam totaly Agrey With ALEN.

June 9, 2010 at 11:31 pm
(6) Tamar Weinberg says:

No, I don’t pay for domain name privacy. I’ve used NameCheap.com for five years and with them, WhoisGuard (domain name protection) is free. They rock!

That said, what Chris said above is also true for me. It depends on the domain’s purpose.

June 11, 2010 at 10:49 am
(7) Laura says:

I did not do the poll as my answer would also be depends on what the domain is for. Business domains are never private but I do have a personal one that is private, and I pay for it. Did not know you could get privacy protection for free, I’ll need to look into that, thanks for the info : )