1. Computing

Jennifer Kyrnin

Don't be Fooled by W3Schools

By April 6, 2011

For years I have been quietly trying to alert people to the inaccuracies and errors on the W3Schools site. I don't allow links to them from this site or the associated forums because I believe you should be given the best possible external resources, not just the one that comes up first in search.

So it was with great joy that I found this site today: W3Fools. They detail all the reasons that I don't recommend W3Schools, and include better references. No, they don't include this site, but that's okay. I'd rather you get your HTML, CSS, and XML information from the reputable sites they list than from W3Schools, even if you're not getting it from me.

And to clarify, just because they are named W3Schools does not mean they are associated in any way with the web standards organization W3C. Anyone can buy a domain with W3 in the URL—but only sites on the w3.org domain are legitimate W3C sites. Don't be fooled.

Comments
April 6, 2011 at 4:17 pm
(1) Ellen says:

I thought it was just me, but I have had my suspicions about this site. I thought they were somehow related to W3, and am glad to find out they are not! Thanks for the heads up!

April 8, 2011 at 8:12 am
(2) David O. says:

Wow, what a shock. Your W3Fools link was a life saver as I had started doing some of the W3Schools tutorials.

I found the resources excellent and the list of inaccurate coding on W3School site a real eye opener.

Excellent article.

April 8, 2011 at 11:21 am
(3) Dave says:

I’ve never taken a w3schools tutorial. I agree there are much better tutorials out there. The main feature I like about w3schools is the “Try It” editor in their HTML and CSS references. It allows you to quickly experiment with an HTML or CSS feature, without having to fiddle about with files and such.

Are there other references out there that have a similar feature?

April 8, 2011 at 3:11 pm
(4) thenbman says:

I can’t really go along with you about W3schools. I’m well aware of W3fools but I think Paul Irish found something like 30HTML mistakes and 4 in CSS and while it’s fine to point that out, that is out of hundreds of examples and I don’t think that’s half bad. I’m also aware it doesn’t have anything to do with W3 standards but it never said it did. In fact we can easily criticize the standards themselves in fact.

W3schools is for the absolute beginner in all things web based things and the structure of it is second to none. It’s also good reference tool when you forget something and you can’t put your hand on a book etc. If you really want to compare it to about.com tutorials (and I like this website) it is actually easier to find things and it’s one place, you don’t have to go and look at HTML/CSS in one site then go to somewhere else for Jquery as an example.

April 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm
(5) Sunny Singh says:

I never had a problem with W3Schools. Most if not all the information on there I found legitimate and correct.

I also never thought it was part of W3 or gave out certificates that you could actually use.

April 11, 2011 at 5:33 pm
(6) hemone says:

When I first start html 96. I found w3schools great in learning because of the editors. And when I begin to learn css. I would copy and paste their code instead of hacking it myself. As far as javascript. I don’t think so. I would suggest html goodies for the beginner.

April 11, 2011 at 5:50 pm
(7) fluffythebunny says:

The only thing I like about that site is the editors. Great hands on for html and css. But they don’t really teach you anything. Do they? If it weren’t for the editors. Most people would not go there. Atleast thats what I think.

April 12, 2011 at 6:36 am
(8) Gina says:

I find their colour pages very useful and have them bookmarked but otherwise, for tutorials I use a paid video service (which I suppose I’m not allowed to mention here so I won’t) or an online course.

April 12, 2011 at 7:20 am
(9) I Mustafic says:

I’ve found a lot of useful info on this site. I do agree however that the certificate system is questionable. I wouldn’t touch that part of it witha barge pole but to paint the whole site in a negative light by devoting a whole site named W3CFools is itself questionable too . . does it really warrant such an approach . . . I think not!

April 12, 2011 at 7:42 am
(10) Tecle says:

I use w3schools regurlarly and I find it very useful, especially when I just begin with a topic. I also like their “Try it yourself” feature. For some tutorials though, I find the site a little too shallow.

April 12, 2011 at 8:43 am
(11) Daniel says:

W3Schools has ever been my primary source of search, and the most reliable source for web standards.
Of course it brings some outdated information because we know, it´s dificult to stay always updated with all changes that are launched every day by all browsers.
But I liked the initiative of this post, congratulations Jennifer, now I can extend my sources of search.

April 12, 2011 at 10:00 am
(12) Joey says:

Great job Jennifer, I thought they were the ultimate authority; my community college states as much in error I now see.

Thanks for the links to other educational resources!

April 12, 2011 at 11:16 am
(13) Travis says:

Why doesn’t the guy just send in the proposed corrections as the W3Schools site asks down there in the footer? Nope, he had to take the time to create a website to bitterly complain about another website, how special.

Then the guy has the nerve to complain that even though W3Schools has been fixing the errors he points out he feels the site is not a good source of info. What is he, twelve?

Complaints based on “best practices” are not hugely important as “best practices” change all the time. “Best practices” in web design has changed at least five times since my career started a number of years ago.

This article is also misleading. It heavily suggests that all of the W3Schools website is rife with errors and inaccuracies. This is false, even the W3Fools guy can only find a relative handful of errors with a site that covers hundreds of topics, as was pointed out in a comment.

This is the Internet, read everything with a question of bias/agenda/accuracy in mind, even this very article.

April 12, 2011 at 3:36 pm
(14) andy says:

I have no problem with w3schools. That and tizag.com have been great resources for me when I just needed to look up one simple line of javascript, or the format for the shorthand CSS background property. I thought it was pretty obvious they weren’t an accredited institution of education.

Also, I feel you on the ‘anybody can get a domain with w3 in it.’, I recently did a website build for http://www.w3global.com lol

April 12, 2011 at 3:39 pm
(15) mutra says:

I frequently use W3Schools since I do not know a better place to go to and to quickly find what I need. Certainly the info they supply is somewhat limited even outdated, but it is very well structured and handy to use.
It is the W3Fools that are the fools themselves: I am ready to buy them a box of (cheap) candies so they would stop whining…

April 12, 2011 at 3:42 pm
(16) Tom M. says:

I have used w3schools for self education, for its many samples/examples and when I am trying out stuff with it’s editor. I understand they are not affiliated with the w3 consortium.

If you have been looking at certifications for any length of time you will discover that experience and portfolio’s always trump certifications.

April 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm
(17) fowlesp says:

W3Fool is an interesting site, and a useful cross-reference. but is _it_ entirely accurate itself?

This is very bad. Sites like W3Schools should not be advocating the use of ISO-8859-1. UTF-8 should be used in nearly all cases.

When did UTF-8 become a character set!

I don’t claim to be a web expert, but mistakes like this loose points for what could have been a worthwhile resource

April 12, 2011 at 4:52 pm
(18) bearcatnat says:

Wow, I’m stunned that W3schools is getting such flack! I don’t consider them a be-all, end-all by any means, but the site is a great reference when I forget how to do something and want to look it up quickly! Like others, I also enjoy the straight forward layout and the interactive editors.

April 12, 2011 at 5:49 pm
(19) Steve says:

At least the HTML and CSS parts of the W3Schoold site are mostly right. It is the JavaScript section that is probably the most out of date given how much JavaScript has changed over the past few years and how little change the two guys who run that site have actually updated during that time. I haven’t checked all of their JavaScript tutorials but from the ones I did check I’d estimate that at least 70% of them illustrate code that was superceded by better alternatives at least five years ago. The only reason the HTML and CSS secitions haven’t suffered similarly is that there have been less changes in those areas over recent years.

Of course there are lots of better resources available elsewhere on the web for just about every topic covered on W3Schools. Probably the best of the ones where you can find most of the same information covered in as much or more detail where the information is going to be far more up to date is ABOUT.COM.

W3Schools is a great historical resource though if you want to learn how all those things were done about ten years ago (when their site was reasonably up to date and fewer better alternatives existed).

April 13, 2011 at 10:01 am
(20) Maria Irrera says:

Wow what a ridiculous attack on W3Schools! That site has helped me enormously to teach beginners HTML and CSS. Their “Tryit” editor is superb, as are the other resources.
W3Fools is nitpicky and recommend going to better resource page which actually backs up W3Schools.

W3Schools:
“Even if works in all browsers, writing instead is more future proof.”
W3Fools response:
“This is false and misleading; there is nothing future-proof about self-closing tags, especially as the work on XHTML 2.0 has been discontinued. Furthermore, isn’t semantic in most cases and probably should not be mentioned at all.”

W3Fools recommended site:
“Tags
In XHTML all tags should be lowercase and must be closed. For those tags that do not have closing tags (such as br and img), they must close themselves with a ‘/’ at the end (such as ). Note that there should be a space before the forward-slash.

Yeah… uh whuh?.

Another thing is W3Fools criticizes how the back end of W3schools is written… “table within table…”

OMG! Who cares? We all have old sites that we can’t afford to re-code!

W3Schools is GREAT for quick reference and as another poster said, it is laid out in an easy format.

I always joke with my students that my class web site is a perfect example of how NOT to organize a web site. I tell them to always plan for a big site because they so often end up growing and easily get out of control.

When I started my class Web site I thought it would be a simple list… It now is so unwieldy (class 3 file coming from class 5 folder) and badly styled I would have to start all over! But who cares? I just need them to have the info and do not get paid enough to please the code police.

I personally want to thank Jennifer for her wonderful articles which I always read, and I want to thank W3Schools for the tremendous work that must have gone into their site.

April 13, 2011 at 10:08 am
(21) maria Irrera says:

Correction:

W3Fools (‘Fools’ going forward) is nitpicky and recommends going to a ‘better’ resource page which actually backs up W3Schools.

W3Schools:
“Even if ‘ works in all browsers, writing ”instead is more future proof.”
‘Fools’ response:

(Me: ‘Fools’ also criticized ‘Schools’ for mentioning using lower case)

‘Fools’ recommended site:
“Tags

Yeah… uh whuh?.

Another thing is ‘Fools’ criticizes how the back end of W3schools is written… “table within table…”

OMG! Who cares? We all have old sites that we can’t afford to re-code!

April 13, 2011 at 10:16 am
(22) Maria Irrera says:

Sorry for the useless repeat… I was trying to write the break tag with the closing slash without using HTML!

In a nutshell: W3Schools recommends using the self closing slash for XHTML standard (as does About.com), ‘Fools’ criticizes and points to a reference that in turn, makes them look Foolish.

April 14, 2011 at 5:35 am
(23) Nicky says:

The moral of the story is to never rely on one source for your information.

I have noticed just how utterly dreadful some of their JS reference is. Really pleased w3Fools have covered this! (On the other hand, I admit I recently used the site to quickly look up the JS version of names for some css properties :O.)

To be fair, the site has potential to be a good reference resource, but it does need to correct misleading information.
“Professional web developers often prefer HTML editors like FrontPage or Dreamweaver, instead of writing plain text” is very misleading for anyone starting out. (Grab yourself a copy of the free open source Notepad++, you don’t need to buy FrontPage or Dreamweaver.)

I’m a big fan of Sitepoint and about.com for presenting information in an easy to digest way, but again I will still read around, and check how current that information is.

Personally, I have never been fooled by the site name. If you have been, you may be susceptible to being fooled by other internet sites, so take care!

April 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm
(24) AA says:

Hats off to W3Schools for their efforts. I feel W3Schools is an excellent resource and is one of the best if not the only best resource to learn basics of many languages. I have learnt a lot from W3Schools and have great respect for them. By the way I have yet to find any misleaading / erroneous information there.

Regardless of what some (apparently jealous) people say about the W3Schools, I will keep on using that great resource without any doubts.

But I also totally agree with Nicky that one should never rely on one source for information.

About W3Fools, the name speaks for its creators.

February 15, 2012 at 11:02 am
(25) corazon says:

It’s all about “food-fight”, isn’t it? or about popularity?

February 20, 2012 at 2:15 am
(26) Peace says:

AM SHOCKED TO THE BONES!!!!!!! I HAD NOT GIVEN A THOUGHT OF IT…THANKS 4 THE EYE OPENER!!!

February 24, 2012 at 11:57 am
(27) Shawn says:

W3Schools is a great resource for beginners in HTML and CSS. They offer certifications which to most people mean nothing but as far as CV’s and resumes go, it can give a lead over others. When employers are viewing CV’s and resumes everyone should have a portfolio but those who have certifications will stand out even more. Each test is about $95.00. If that is the amount of money it will cost to have an employer consider you over someone else I am sure you will gladly pay it. Its a drop in the bucket compared to a years salary.

March 17, 2012 at 4:49 am
(28) PaulGrins says:

Having just started web design I can tell you that w3cschools.com is going down the wrong path! I tried using that site for years, they have great “quick fixes” for common questions but fail to explain the deeper aspects of the code that would really lead to actually understanding it and being able to utilize it 100%. Sitepoint.com is awesome in comparison and the founders are actual professional web developers which really helps. W3C.org has also launched a wiki with a reference to all elements.

Also, the fact that w3cschools.com sells useless certificates and uses the w3c prefix in their name is a low thing to do to newbie web designers who have no idea about these things.

July 25, 2012 at 3:32 pm
(29) jrh_engineer says:

Opera Web Standards Curriculum does not have a nice layout like w3schools. I have been helping my daughter learn HTML, CSS, Javascript, and PHP from the W3Schools site. If I am not available for the session, I am confident that she can navigate their site on her own and still make progress. Their site is laid out very nicely, and is easy to follow. In the past, I have done programming in Assembly, C, C++, C#, Visual Basic, HTML, Ladder Logic, and others. Never, are the sources entirely correct. Once you are past the beginner’s stage, you branch out and get other peoples opinions and techniques. It’s an ongoing process. If people thought W3Schools was so bad, they would have a bad rating on WOT. IF YOU DON’T LIKE W3SCHOOLS, I RECOMMEND YOU MAKE A BETTER WEBSITE! After all you’re the best- right?

July 27, 2012 at 8:07 am
(30) Chan says:

As far as I am concerned, I designed several sites with the stuff I studied from w3schools. obviously there isn’t one single site that gives you all the info, but they have enough GOOD references to be a great site to start from. I designed my first work local site only with the info I studied there, no server side – only an informative bunch o pages within a week, after learning how to write plain HTML for the information displayed, and leave the scripting and designing to .js and .css files, and it was cool.
So indeed you’ll need to study more and learn more from other tutorials, but you just can’t (or so I think) discard the usefulness of their site…

August 2, 2012 at 8:20 am
(31) Rudy says:

I have found W3Schools useful for more than a decade. It appears the criticism is nothing more than jealousy. If W3Schools is so detrimental, then where is your alternative?

If you have not produced a competing or better resource, then your opinion/criticism should be kept to yourself, because you know what they say about opinions and everyone having one!

August 6, 2012 at 7:03 am
(32) xyz says:

As i know w3 schools are helpful for beginners. Instead of blaming one site just keep quite.

August 6, 2012 at 9:39 pm
(33) Snippet says:

Its nice to know that you have just wasted “x” amount of time reading this. I thank thee.

August 18, 2012 at 10:27 pm
(34) Pramod kumar says:

I don,t think as the people said about W3SCHOOLS tutorial.Because I have learned CSS,JQUERY,AJAX from this Tutorial,that is right.W3schools provide us manual with practical knowledge,thats great.So we should take totorials from W3SCHOOLS ,Its beneficial for everyone…..

August 29, 2012 at 12:39 am
(35) tkishore says:

please tell me, which site i need to refer to learn HTML5 or any other courses.?

August 29, 2012 at 11:07 am
(36) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

Well, you can learn HTML5 here at this site http://webdesign.about.com/od/html5/ and I offer a number of free courses as well http://webdesign.about.com/od/onlinetraining/a/blwebdevclasses.htm

If you want to learn the HTML5 specification you should go to WHATWG: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/

September 12, 2012 at 8:42 am
(37) varikallu says:

I think for beginners its good site.Getting what is what very quickly.

For In depath kwoledge, we need to refer the other site where you can find good meterial.

Every day web technology changes.So i cannot expect the W3schools upto date, but for the layman.Its good.

December 11, 2012 at 5:34 am
(38) Thomas Okogun says:

This is a shocker. I was intending taking their certifications. I think the first line in this web page should be “We do not warrant the correctness of [W3Schools] content. The risk from using it lies entirely with the user.” This can be followed by “W3Schools.com is not affiliated with the W3C in any way. Members of the W3C have asked W3Schools to explicitly disavow any connection in the past, and they have refused to do so.” What they are doing is not really bad. It is a legitimate business. It is the assumption that is harmful. The name [W3Schools] kind of create instant trust because of the ‘w3′ in it.

December 13, 2012 at 7:25 pm
(39) Raymond says:

I have learned a lot from them. I don’t expect them to be perfect.

But MANY THANKS for alerting the public regarding the CERTIFICATES.

Have a pleasant day/evening.

January 11, 2013 at 12:16 pm
(40) puneet says:

May be the w3schools site is a good teacher for starter. i learn lots of them

January 12, 2013 at 1:30 am
(41) oghenkaro says:

i think W3FOOLS should stop criticizing W3SCHOOLS rather they should try and develop their own site if they think its that easy…

i love the way the pages are structured… i wish about.com could have easy navigation like that. i have always found about.com difficult to navigate unlike W3schools.com..

even most of the books we read boldly tells us the same thing about errors or information at when the book was written. Anyone can make an error.. what W3fools shud have done is to inform the other party of its errors.. or better STILL create your own site..

February 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm
(42) Ricky Yoder says:

I agree with oghenkaro.

They should really make their own site if they think that it’s that easy to go about and point out the mistakes on W3Schools.

February 14, 2013 at 6:34 am
(43) Jim says:

THIS site is crap.

W3Schools is actually pretty good and is dedicated to a bit more than baby subjects like HTML.

February 14, 2013 at 8:22 pm
(44) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Jim: Your opinion of both this site and W3Schools might carry a bit more weight if you were less crass and more erudite. But thanks for your opinion.

March 25, 2013 at 2:34 am
(45) Pritee says:

I LOVE W3SCHOOLS . There are surely better options available , but that does not leaves w3schools as absurd at all. Its a good site for starters and I would not stop loving it.

March 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm
(46) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Pritee: My main problem with them is their misleading name. Many people think that they are an official site for HTML and other information because of their name. This feels like fraud to me. It might not be terribly harmful, but when a site starts out with an implied relationship that isn’t there, I’m not sure I want to trust them. No matter how good the site is.

March 26, 2013 at 12:55 am
(47) Bhanu says:

it’s easy to learn these simple notes on it
i think u gave a wrong statement….!
if u think that w3schools is a wrong website can u give a beeter option than these……?

March 26, 2013 at 1:23 pm
(48) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Bhanu: Honestly? This site you’re on right here has been around longer than W3Schools, and I have written and edited all the content here. Personally, I feel that my site is a better option than W3Schools, but I realize I’m biased. :-) Some other sites I like better include the actual W3 site and for learning about HTML and web design, nothing beats Lynda.com. I’m sure other readers have favorites as well.

April 7, 2013 at 6:28 am
(49) not_you_again says:

Funny how this site, providing constantly cheap or useless articles blames a different site for the quality of its contents.

I wouldn’t be here to comment on this, but Google has disabled the ‘blocked sites’ feature and web searches are a pain again. Damn.

April 7, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(50) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@not_you_again: I’m sorry you feel that way. If you gave me some specific problems you have with my articles, I’d be happy to take a look at fixing them. However, without any specific issues, I can do nothing to help you solve your problems.

April 9, 2013 at 1:37 am
(51) abc says:

I don’t think so because i really have trust on w3school ant this site is so nice to learn html,css,javascript,ajax,xml etc with example.Next time at first you think and comment on any other site or w3school

April 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm
(52) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@abc: yes, there are lots of examples on this site as well. Plus, I stand behind my work and I am willing to take feedback from my readers to find problems and fix them. I don’t see any way to do that on W3Schools (although I haven’t been there in a few months, so they might have changed things)

April 12, 2013 at 3:43 am
(53) william says:

W3C define w3 as a shortening for www or World Wide Web. I therefore don’t see your problem with the name w3schools. If they were called w3cschools then yes this would be misleading. I think w3schools is a very good resource with a simple layout for beginners on a wide variety web topics. Thank you for pointing out the inaccuracies this is worth bearing in mind, however most are more of relevance to professional web developers than beginners ( You can report errors at the footer of each page on the w3schools site). Many of the resources mentioned are reference sites for developers or paid for resources so not really comparing like with like. I think the article would have been better if you had compared different free tutorials and I think the w3fools would have been better spending their time creating a rival tutorial website. My students have found the w3 schools useful for building very basic sites and I have used it as a quick reference for work. I am not affiliated in any other way to the w3schools site.

April 14, 2013 at 9:16 pm
(54) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@william: yes, that is probably their defense as well. But the fact of the matter is that I get asked about once a month or more often about the “standards site that teaches HTML elements – you know, W3Schools.” Nearly every newcomer to web design thinks that because they have similar names, they are related. Thus, W3Schools is capitalizing on that recognition, when in fact they have no affiliation to the W3C.

April 22, 2013 at 12:28 pm
(55) James B says:

Clearly just a “plug” for the chaps on W3Fools; Blatantly trying to capitalise on the popularity of W3Schools by slating it.

W3Schools is a fantastic resource. Is it ever possible to please everyone? Yes there are errors here and there but when maintaining such a large resource on a moving landscape, is it ever possible to be 100% accurate 100% of the time?

Seems like sour grapes and whining from W3Fools has got them the publicity they wanted. Shame.

If W3Fools are such experts as to knit pick on W3Schools, why don’t they write their own resource guide for beginners?

C’Mon – the fact is W3Schools has helped many beginners world wide to get their first steps into the world of web development. Does it ever proclaim to be the “expert’s resource”? No.

Have you ever tried to write a resource as comprehensive as W3Schools? I can well imagine that it must be a nightmare to maintain because standards are constantly changing, practices constantly evolving. Perhaps in the future opening W3Schools up to “wiki” style open citations might be a good idea though. But as for what W3Schools have done, warts and all – I think its super.

I am not affiliated with W3Schools.

April 22, 2013 at 12:52 pm
(56) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@James B: You said “Have you ever tried to write a resource as comprehensive as W3Schools? I can well imagine that it must be a nightmare to maintain because standards are constantly changing, practices constantly evolving.”

I can answer, definitively, YES. I agree it’s hard work, but I don’t think that they do enough to try and keep their content correct and working for their customers. However, my biggest issue with them, as I’ve said several times, is not their resource, but rather how they capitalize on ignorance with their name, and do nothing to correct people who think that they ARE the standards maker, rather than just another site talking about those standards.

But thanks for your feedback.

April 25, 2013 at 5:29 am
(57) Karen says:

I can’t believe that anyone wastes so much time criticising W3Schools. It is well laid out and everything is really easy to find. The references and hands on example are really useful. It says more about W3Fools if they have has so much time on their hands, why don’t they create their own site only much better than W3Schools or examine all the other “Expert” sites for errors? I guarantee they will find errors in all of them. No coding is 100% error free. Coding is quite hard on the eyes and it is easy to make a mistake which generally shows up when it is too late – just ask Microsoft Ha! Ha! Ha!

April 25, 2013 at 11:19 am
(58) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Karen: if you’ve read any of the comments, you would know that my issue with W3Schools is their misleading name. I understand that errors creep in. That’s a fact of the web. I don’t like how difficult it is to report errors to the W3S folks, but my issue is that they start out by deliberately capitalizing on an assumption that they are associated with the W3C, which they are not. I consider this to be deceptive marketing, and if they’re willing to be deceptive at the domain level without any type of disclaimer or explanation on their site, then what else are they being deceptive about?

May 9, 2013 at 11:42 pm
(59) Learning HTML says:

I recently started learning about HTML, CSS, and other fun stuff. I have found W3Schools to be an extremely helpful and informative site. I don’t consider them to be the industry leading experts on the subject. But for someone learning they offer an easy to use layout and approach. But I also use a number of other resources (other websites, books, etc.).

You may have or offer similar or better HTML, CSS, or other website building here, but I refuse to frequent About.com. I am only visiting as I saw a link about W3Fools and wanted to see if other people thought they were as as dumb and whiny as I thought they were. Seems so.

As for About.com all I have to say is five words: Black and Blue on White. Black text and Blue links on a White background. Too many ads, which are also black & blue on white, intermingled with the articles to the point it is hard to tell which is which. Links point to more links which point to more links. I get tired of clicking before I get to any worthwhile information.

Just my two cents worth.

May 10, 2013 at 1:55 pm
(60) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

Well, hopefully the changes that are in the works will help you like About.com more.

May 15, 2013 at 11:24 pm
(61) observing says:

I’ve found the w3schools website useful for getting basic background on .web technologies. I have been writing code longer than many of its critics have been alive (Fortran IV on punchcards?). Anyway it is a good site for what it is, it won’t give someone skills to become a professional in the field, but for an introduction to the subject it does the job.
Also, looking at the page design of w3fools, about.com, and w3schools, I would say w3schools is superior. If you’re going to claim expertise in a subject, you should at least show proper application.

May 16, 2013 at 3:33 pm
(62) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@observing: I claim expertise, but I’ve never claimed to be the designer of About.com. :-)

June 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm
(63) Judia says:

If you see a problem, then help fix it. w3schools is free and really large. Do you know how much work it takes to maintain a website like that? Do you know what it takes to update your knowledge to put on a website like w3schools? Obviously, you don’t! It’s a great resource and easy to use. They don’t claim to be affiliated with anybody. It’s just a resource for people that want to learn. If you wanted a real classroom, then go down to your local college and enroll in classes. Likewise, if you have a problem with w3schools, help them fix the problem or build a better website. Don’t sit here and ridicule a group of people that are trying to do a good thing. w3fools is a gathering of immature people. It’s right on their front page. “w3schools: an intervention” You go through half a page of their reasons for making w3fools and who’s in on it. You gotta look hard to realize they don’t offer any resources, or you just can’t find it! Go to w3schools and see what’s on their front page. Resources. When I go onto a resource site, I don’t want to know who you have a beef with. I don’t care. I need information and I want easy links to find that information. I want to see it immediately, not dig through nonsense. I learned off of w3schools. It was just a hobby, but I ended up dishing out websites for companies that saw my work and loved it. How successful you are as a designer and developer is entirely on you, not on w3schools or ANY school. How good you are is up to you. An art school won’t make you Picasso or Da Vinci. If you’re not an artist, then you’re not an artist. I could go to school for the rest of my LIFE and I will never be a brain surgeon. It’s just how stuff works.

June 11, 2013 at 12:25 pm
(64) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Judia: actually I do know how much work it takes, as I’ve been doing it longer than W3Schools has, and with a smaller staff than they have too. :-) I’m not saying they aren’t working hard. I just don’t like the manipulative and misleading tactics they use to get customers.

June 11, 2013 at 7:14 am
(65) Seshadri says:

Dear Madam,
I believe that Nobody is “PERFECT”.
As somebody stated, It is not wise to “Comment” badly,..on anybody, as everybody has some “shortfalls” somewhere or other..

It should be appreciated that “W3Schools” is giving a start up on web technology,,May be with some wrong code, but the thing is He is trying to give or provide the info, what he understands,,.

It is not wise to take it grated that “all the code that is availbale on the web sites(whether is it W3Schools or Others) is “FOOL PROOF”. One has to try and understand.

Use the web sources as a guide,,, Not as “PERFECT GURU”.

Regards,
Sesu

June 14, 2013 at 8:58 am
(66) Tristen says:

Errors or no errors I have never liked W3 Schools for more than a quick reference to some things.

I’ve personally found their tutorials to be insufficient, especially for the very beginner.

I found resources such as:

To be FAR better for beginners.

Not to mention they ARE being intentionally misleading. When I was first learning scripting I thought they were affiliated with the W3C and I planned on taking their certifications.

And I’m sure that’s why they mislead people. So they can sell there certs for $95 a piece and everyone will think they have something of value.

June 16, 2013 at 3:50 am
(67) Rakesh Anand says:

Dear Madam,
I am learning SQL since a couple of weeks.i refer various sites and mostly W3Schools for tutorial purpose.Please send me the link of your site where I can see SQL tutorials cause I didn’t find any.

June 16, 2013 at 11:47 pm
(68) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

I don’t cover SQL or MySQL. However there are two guides who do: the PHP/MySQL Guide and the Databases Guide.

August 16, 2013 at 6:23 am
(69) web developer says:

I really don’t like this kind of articles.
W3schools is a good resource. Even better: I think they are the BEST resource for beginners. Of course, they are not a reference such as MDN, even a beginner understand that. Yeah, even a beginner understand that… so your clarifications are really useless. This kind of articles – w3fools rules – don’t go towards the sharing sense of Internet, where links are gold and envy is evil. Really bad teaching.

The very first thing I learned a lot of time ago was: w3.org is *THE* resource if you are searching for reliable web developing references and, of course, web service standards. So as PHP.net is *THE* resource for PHP. Stop. So I really don’t need any further w3fools’ style clarifications.

What about “about.com” as a web developing resource? Well, sincerely, I never found it really helpful. Neither a reference for experts nor a good tutorial for beginners. Maybe you need a “try it yourself” feature? I thinks so. Thanks.

August 27, 2013 at 12:35 am
(70) Daz says:

Have to disagree with your comments about w3schools for one main reason, READABILITY!
Although there are some inaccuracies it is far far far far far far far easier to read and follow than many sites.
It’s readability makes it REALLY GOOD, then if then code doesn’t work, it’s not hard to google the reason for some more details info, usually from stackoverflow.com which is great.

The two made a much better pair than unreadable, too detailed information where you can’t find what your looking for.

Thanks

August 28, 2013 at 7:51 am
(71) LEE says:

I’ve seen this author several times in the google’s search results.

But was always Suck.

I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SINGLE SITE

sorted informations well more than that god damn W3SCHOOL.

It saved my time a lot for the starting each courses by their offering.

Sheck more than 120 books for each course is a time worm.

September 9, 2013 at 5:28 am
(72) Darshana says:

Its a good site to learn n for beginners….i never found any kind of problem while using this site……

September 9, 2013 at 6:36 am
(73) sd says:

Disagree. Being a newbie to the w3schools website, I’ve found it to be a far better tutorial website than any other. The way they’ve presented and organized it is good.
Of course, what you’re recommending may be for more advanced users. But for beginners, I’d totally recommend the w3schools tutorials.

September 9, 2013 at 2:53 pm
(74) Sam says:

W3schools is way better than about.com with fucking flash ads.

September 9, 2013 at 3:11 pm
(75) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Sam: your best bet for getting rid of the annoying ads is to report them to the About.com management. Posting profanity in a comment won’t get you anywhere. The people who decide what ads to use will never see your complaint. This is where you should complain: http://www.about.com/gi/pages/pform.htm

October 15, 2013 at 1:00 am
(76) Kshore says:

w3schools is better way to learn for the beginners ………….and it is simple and easy way learning

October 15, 2013 at 3:09 pm
(77) John says:

I’ve never had any kinds of problems while using “W3schools”, but I agree with the people when they say “It’s not the best site to learn complex languages”, it’s a great site to learn the basics (HTML / CSS) but not to learn javascript.
And I think since this post has been written, “W3schools” improved itself, and today it’s better than it wass in 2011 (and with less errors too).

October 27, 2013 at 2:46 am
(78) W3school says:

well, i think W3school is a great site. I have learnt lot form it. I never though it was a part of w3c.
People who are busy criticizing the web should rather invest their time and come up with a better web site with better affiliations so people can use it.
I feel, W3fools is a single page website made by hatters. Get your shit str . Use skill in a productive way. Come up with a better website and people will stop using W3school.

November 3, 2013 at 9:35 pm
(79) TheOneAndOnlyHTML says:

Well, Jennifer… If you clearly look on the site, it says w3schools.com. Never did it say W3Schools, or anything that had a capital W. So on that topic, I disagree with you trying to say that w3schools is misleading. I studied CSS and HTML on there, but thank god I read the comments before starting JavaScript. I agree with you and all, but not everything is bad. <i>w3schools.com is good for beginners, but bad for experts</i> because it hasn’t updated some parts yet. I am now buying books rather than look at the site again, so that I can get more updated info. The first book I got was a Microsoft book called “//Step by step JavaScript (Third Edition)”.

November 12, 2013 at 4:04 pm
(80) Adam says:

This looks like an attempt to control if you ask me. I see it as a cheap attack on w3schools in order to drive those searching w3schools to a different location. IF you aren’t happy with the tool, use another. If you would like to start your own website, why not do it without bad mouthing the others.

I don’t see what w3schools is doing that would warrant anyone to have hatred towards them. Besides, anyone with some sense will know that their certificates are not professional, you get them right online. It’s just a way for them to earn some cash and I don’t see how that hurts anyone. That may, in fact, be what keeps this free tool running.

The site could definitely be improved. I agree with that. But do I have ill feelings towards it and their efforts? Not at this time. It’s helpful.

November 13, 2013 at 4:02 am
(81) Chris Gaza says:

w3schools are a great tool for learning web design, yes they have some errors as something that was created by humans, they are being fixed, but we definetly need w3schools. i love it and they totally helped me to know more about web design when i was starting. the best tutorials for someone starting.

some armchair critics, just good at criticizing,

November 27, 2013 at 5:25 am
(82) sara says:

I think it would help everyone if you could point out some specific inaccuracies in w3chools.com. Just saying it’s no good doesn’t help us or them.

I agree that the structure is extremely hand in that in two clicks, you can review the syntax of just about any command…it’s why I’ve used it fairly regularly.

But I’d really like to see some examples of the problems that has everyone up in arms.

November 28, 2013 at 9:25 am
(83) Andreas says:

First of all, W3C members ASKED W3Schools to state that they have no affiliation with W3C but they have refused to do this. Because they obviously wants to be confused with W3C so they can take peoples money for useless certification that WON’T give you any lead while applying for a job. Just because some of you “learned how to make a website” doesn’t make it a good resource. They also teach bad habits to people..

December 18, 2013 at 8:40 am
(84) Chombe says:

Haters are everywhere!!!

December 21, 2013 at 11:48 am
(85) Jack Smith says:

Mozilla Developer Network and StackOverflow are real resources. To the geniuses saying w3fools should make a better resource if they’re complaining you’re kind of missing the point.

There already are better resources, people just don’t find them because the search results are cluttered up with garbage from sites like w3schools and about.com since they strive more for positioning themselves at the top of the search engines than they do for accurate information.

Do you want to be learning from professional quality resources, or from sites that have mastered SEO and specifically target newbs?

December 23, 2013 at 1:31 pm
(86) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

I agree that MDN and StackOverflow are much better resources than W3Schools. That is where I point people if I can’t help them.

I don’t agree that my site on About.com is focused on positioning over accurate information. My goal is to be a professional-level resource as well.

January 9, 2014 at 5:48 am
(87) vinoth kumar says:

No useful.waste website.

January 10, 2014 at 5:54 am
(88) Rohit kumar says:

No w3schools is a very good site…You should not believe everything on internet.

March 22, 2014 at 12:45 pm
(89) Dario says:

The information and tutorials on W3school are okay, I don’t see anything wrong with them, for sure its not for the beginners or what’s not, and of course, no one should try to get a certificate from online, unless you know the credibility of the business, if you want to study online you should check your an institute near you and check their online programs.