1. Computing

Jennifer Kyrnin

Letís Get Inspired ó Design Junction Portfolio

By April 3, 2013

Design Junction Portfolio
Design Junction Portfolio

I normally am reluctant to feature web design sites as inspiration, but this portfolio that I found while looking at submissions to my HTML5 Designs submissions really did inspire me. And even if you're still looking for ideas for your portfolios you can get inspiration for your portfolio page design from this great site.

Read More: Design Junction Portfolio

What inspires you? Do you have a favorite site you visit for inspiration? Or are there just designs that you think are particularly good? Are there people you like to read on social media for inspiration?

Screen shot by J Kyrnin courtesy Design Junction Portfolio

Comments
April 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm
(1) Nikita - Design Junction says:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for posting the Design Junction portfolio in your inspiration list.

If any of your readers have any web design, technical HTML5 questions about how the portfolio was created, then our team would be pleased to answer any queries.

TIP: A web design tip for readers, always check the performance of your site using tools such as Google Page Speed. Our site scores 95 out of 100, so it is possible to use nice fonts, html5 and jquery and still have a fast loading site.

April 7, 2013 at 5:16 pm
(2) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Nikita ‚Äď Design Junction: thanks for the offer. And good tip about checking your page speed. Thanks!

April 9, 2013 at 6:06 am
(3) thenbman says:

That’s a very smart site. I’ll be asking some questions that’s for sure :)

April 9, 2013 at 6:08 am
(4) thenbman says:

Hi Nikita, do you mean ask questions on this site? Or which URL?
Nigel

April 9, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(5) Nikita - Design Junction says:

Hi Nigel,

Yes, I mean that you can ask me any question here on the about.com website. So fire away, any questions on web design or HTML5/CSS3 and our team will be happy to share our experience with you.

Thanks
Nikita

April 11, 2013 at 10:24 am
(6) thenbman says:

Hi Nikita,
Thanks for the reply, for some reason I’m not getting emails from the threads that I’ve posted to on here.

Anyway I’m not sure if I understand this correctly but is Design Junction a web design team?

With regards to HTML5 how do you feel it’s an advantage over things like Jquery or even Javascript. I know there are tags and things that are an upgrade from normal HTML, but writing them out isn’t that much of a problem. I know it may save a little time but nothing to shout about.

I also understand it’s advantage over things like Flash when it comes to animation and all that but haven’t got it in my head yet, why it’s become the in thing if you like. With the invention of the canvas tag etc in theory when I first saw this I was really excited but when it needs another technology to drive it, if you like, it seemed to me a let down, when I was already coding in Javascript.

I’d like to think I was open minded and I’m trying to always improve, I’m currently learning more about CSS3.

Thanks for your time,
Nigel

April 14, 2013 at 9:19 pm
(7) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@thenbman: last I knew, About.com had turned off email notifications of comment replies. Which is why you are no longer receiving them. :( The Guides (the writers of the sites) are trying to get them turned back on but our efforts haven’t been successful so far.

April 15, 2013 at 11:02 pm
(8) Nikita - Design Junction says:

Hi Nigel,

Yes, that’s right we are a web design company based in Melbourne, Australia.

That’s a great question!

HTML 5 is used for presentation purposes. So on our website, it is used to position all the elements with help from CSS3.

jQuery is a programming Framework using Javascript and it is used to control the logic and the HTML elements. On our website, the sliding banners are done in jQuery.

With regards to HTML5 vs Flash, some of the advantages are that HTML5 is viewable on mobile devices but Flash isn’t (on Apple products). HTML 5 can be indexed by search engines (we can use meta data) but Flash can’t be indexed. This is a big benefit to businesses relying on SEO and internet marketing.

We also love working and experimenting with CSS3. In the web design industry, it is important to keep an open mind and continuously improve skills.

Let me know if I can help with anything else!

Thanks
Nikita

April 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm
(9) thenbman says:

Oh that sucks! Can you also have a campaign that when you actually try and post it doesn’t take 50 goes :) The amount of time I try to contribute to this site and find that there’s an error or some other silly thing is amazing.

Hope they bring back the email notifications it makes the experience much better but then you know that. All the hard work that you put into this Jennifer I for one appreciate.

April 16, 2013 at 5:33 pm
(10) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@thenbman: lol I’ll add that to the campaign. :-)

thank you for recognizing the work I put in. I appreciate it. I do love this site.

April 17, 2013 at 7:40 am
(11) thenbman says:

Jennifer – yes I do, I can imagine how much time it takes and really your doing it for other people’s benefit, which I respect. It’s great to share views and see how other people do stuff, a pity the site isn’t in tune ha ha

Nikita – thanks for the reply. Yes very interesting. At present I’m reading about CCS3, I’ve done websites that incorporate it for a while, but while I know CCS2.1.7.3.4 HA HA I still need to learn how far the parameters are with this new version.

Thank you also about HTML5, In this book it does give the basics of HTML5 as well, it’s by Jason Cranford. I didn’t know it went into HTML5 so that’s a bonus and I’ve read the part about that, so the next website I do I’m going to do all the layout in it.

Thanks once again,