There are six tags in HTML that create headlines:
<h1>, <h2>, <h3>, <h4>, <h5>, and <h6>. These heading tags help you to divide up your content so that they are easier to read and skim. Here is how to add a headline to your HTML.
- Open your HTML editor and load the page you want to add headlines to.
- Place your cursor in front of the text that you want to make into a headline. If it's not already written, write it and then move the cursor back.
For example, I might want have the following text as my headline:
[cursor]Heroic Border Collie Saves Boy's Life
- In front of the headline, type:
So in my example, it would read:
<h1>Heroic Border Collie Saves Boy's Life
- Place the cursor at the end of the headline. For example:
<h1>Heroic Border Collie Saves Boy's Life[cursor]
- Then close the heading tag:
And in my example:
<h1>Heroic Border Collie Saves Boy's Life</h1>
- Keep your headlines in order. H1 comes first, H2 headlines are directly below H1, H3 are directly below H2, and so on.
- Most pages only have one H1 headline for SEO purposes. All other headlines on the page are H2 and lower.
What You Need
- HTML editor
- web page without headlines