Make sure that you have FTP access to your Web hosting server. Contact your host to get the details.
Fill in the FTP details with the following:
- FTP host - the machine name of your Web server. If you don't know what this is, contact your hosting provider.
- Host directory - the path to your Web site. This is often "public_html" but might be www or something else.
- Login / Password - your login name and password.
- Passive FTP - check this box if you can't connect with it unchecked.
- Firewall - check this box if you're behind a firewall.
- Secure FTP (SFTP) - some servers only allow connections via secure FTP.
The last three check boxes refer to how Dreamweaver interacts with the FTP. Synchronization information is good to keep checked, because then Dreamweaver knows what it has transferred and not. You can set Dreamweaver to upload files automatically when you save them. And if you have check in and check out enabled, you can do this automatically on file transfer.