Approximate a color that cannot be displayed in the current palette by combining different color pixels side by side.
Dithering in GIF images ise used to reduce banding in gradients of color. GIF images are, by definition, a finite set of colors, and by dithering the graphics designer can fool the eye to make the image look like it has more colors than it does.
Benefits of Dithering
- Displays with fewer colors can appear to have more colors
- GIF images can appear to have more colors than they do
Drawabacks to Dithering
- Dithered GIF images will dramatically increase in size
- Up close, dithered images can look speckled and pixelated
- Automatic dithering, such as by low-color monitors, can result in incorrect or unintended colors