The Bottom Line
- KompoZer is one of the only free WYSIWYG HTML editors available.
- It can be used on Windows, Macintosh, and Linux.
- It has a site manager with FTP.
- It has a built-in CSS editor.
- It has an HTML validator.
- KompoZer doesn't have an accessibility or CSS validator.
- It doesn't have the ability to run search and replace operations across multiple files.
- There are no image editing capabilities or connection to an external graphics editor.
- It doesn't have built-in functions for XML, PHP, or special characters.
- You can't use KompoZer to connect to databases for dynamic content.
- Text editor with color coding and built-in WYSIWYG editor for editing HTML web pages
- HTML validator
- Tabbed editing to edit multiple files at once
- Site manager with FTP to upload your pages to your website
- Uses the Mozilla Gecko engine
Guide Review - KompoZer 0.7.1
The two main benefits to using KompoZer are that it’s free and it’s WYSIWYG. When I tried it on both Macintosh and Windows systems I found it slow to run and a bit clunky. It has a lot of the features you’ll find in commercial editors, like FTP and site management, but they aren’t done very elegantly. If you cannot spend any money on a web editor, and you need WYSWIYG, then this is one of the best choices you’ll find. But if you’re planning to work as a professional web designer, either freelance or for a company, you should consider using a more professional tool.