The Bottom Line
- Nvu is one of the only free WYSIWYG HTML editors available.
- It can be used on Windows, Macintosh, and Unix.
- It has a site manager with FTP.
- It has a built-in CSS editor.
- It has an HTML validator.
- Nvu doesn't have an accessibility or CSS validator.
- It doesn't have the ability to run search and replace operations across multiple files.
- There are no image editing capabilities or connection to an external graphics editor.
- It doesn't have built-in functions for XML, PHP, or special characters.
- You can't use Nvu to connect to databases for dynamic content.
- Text editor with color coding and built-in WYSIWYG editor for editing HTML Web pages
- HTML validator
- Tabbed editing to edit multiple files at once
- Site manager with FTP to upload your pages to your website
- Nvu is no longer reliably maintained
Guide Review - Nvu
For all intents and purposes, there is very little difference between Nvu 1.0 and KompoZer 0.7.1. Because of this I can't recommend that you use Nvu, because KompoZer is still being maintained and it's not clear whether Nvu is or not.
The two main benefits to using Nvu are that it's free and it's WYSIWYG. It has a lot of the features you'll find in commercial editors, like FTP and site management, but they aren't done very elegantly. If you're planning to work as a professional Web designer, either freelance or for a company, you should consider using a more professional tool than either Nvu or KompoZer.