Once you have your images in your HTML for your Kindle book and have followed the instructions for creating a great Kindle ebook image you need to be able to include it in your book when you create the mobi file. You can convert your HTML file to mobi using Calibre or you can use the Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) to create your mobi file and set it up for sale.
Make Sure Your Book HTML is Ready for Conversion
The benefit of using HTML to create your book is that you can then use a browser to read through it and correct any errors. When you’re including images you should be sure to check your book in a browser to make sure all the images are displaying correctly.
Remember that ebook viewers like the Kindle are typically less sophisticated than web browsers, so your images may not be centered or aligned. What you should really be checking is that they all display in the book. It is very common to have an ebook with missing images because they were not in the directory referenced by the HTML file.
Once the images are all displaying correctly in the HTML, you should zip the entire book directory and all the images into one file. This is important because you can only upload one file to Amazon.
How to Zip Files and Folders in Windows How to Zip and Unzip Files and Folders on a Mac
How to Get Your Book and Images to Amazon with the KDP
I like using KDP because then the books are ready to be sold on Amazon without any extra steps.
- Login to the KDP with your Amazon account. If you don’t have an Amazon account, you will need to create one.
- On the “Bookshelf” page, click on the yellow button that says “Add new title.”
- Follow the instructions on the screen to enter your book details, verify your publishing rights, and target the book to customers. You should also upload a book cover, but this isn’t required.
- If you haven’t already done so, zip your images and book file together into one ZIP file.
- Browse for that ZIP file and upload it to the KDP.
- Once the uploading is done, you should preview the book in the KDP online previewer.
- When you’re satisfied with the preview, you can post your book to Amazon for sale.