The Bottom Line
- Very easy to use - within 7 steps you have captures
- Captures Linux, Windows (3 versions), and Mac (2 versions)
- Captures IE, Firefox, Netscape, Opera, Safari and more browsers
- Pages must be live to view in BrowserCam
- Somewhat expensive for smaller Web sites
- Get captures at different screen resolutions: 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768.
- View even password protected sites.
- Get screen captures in JPG, Bitmap, or PNG.
- Convert captures to PDF, Photoshop 5, JPG, or PNG.
- Get a capture of the full-page, even if you have to scroll.
- Submit batches of URLs to capture.
- Save captures to projects, and make those projects visible to others.
- Allow multiple users on the same account and share files and projects.
- Use the Remote Access function to check actual functionality of Web pages.
Guide Review - BrowserCam
If you've ever needed to test a browser in an operating system that you don't have, then BrowserCam is the right tool for you. BrowserCam allows you to take screen captures of Web pages in various browsers and operating systems so that you can see what they will look like to your customers without having to invest in lots of expensive hardware.
BrowserCam is easy to use. You simply choose the pages you want to test and which browsers and operating systems and then wait. BrowserCam surfs to your site, takes the screen shots and then displays them in a downloadable format on your screen. All while you wait. Or if you've got a large job, you can have BrowserCam email you when it's finished. BrowserCam also offers remote access to their machines. This allows you to test functionality such as roll-overs, scripts, AJAX, and CGIs.
The main drawback to this tool is that you can't test pages that are not live. This means if you have a test server behind a firewall, you'll need to move your pages to a live environment for BrowserCam to test them.
BrowserCam charges by the amount of time you need to do your tests. If you can get all your tests done in just a few hours, then it can be a very good deal, but if you need to test, make changes, test again, and so on, the time restrictions can drive the price up quickly. They offer 1-day, 1-month, 3-month, and annual plans.