Share your thoughts on the difference between web designers and developers. Is there a difference? Does your company hire different people for the two jobs or is it just one job done by one (or more) person? Is there a difference between web design and web development?Share Your Thoughts
The difference is pretty simple
- You need a developer if you need to build twitter. You need a designer to make the page pretty and to get the bird logo. On youtube, a designer probably laid out the pages and chose the color schemes and nice fonts. Developers made it play videos and scale to millions of concurrent users.
- —Guest djcom
- Web design takes a much more "artistic" or "aesthetic" talent. As a developer I tell my clients up front that they need to have an idea for the basics of the thier website. One they have a basic idea or some examples of other websites they like, I can then go to work and build what they want.
There is a difference
- Web Designers tend to know more about the design and marketing of a site. Developers are more code oriented and like the gadgets and widgets for the site. I tend to come from the design side while learning as much as I can about the coding side... Both are important to the success of any project... This is why teams are good so you can put people with different talents working for the success of your project...
Difference between Web Design Develop
- Yes, in my mind there is definitely a difference. Design is the esoteric, artistic set up of the overall page space. This would be more of a graphic artist's part of the puzzle while the Development would be making the design a reality and would be more of the technician's role in the process. I do not employ both types but sure wish that I could afford that luxury. It is the "rare bird" that has the great graphic view and can back it up with the technical knowledge to put it together. In addition I believe that the design is the most important part of the process. If no one wants to view you site because of it's overall look and feel, it really doesn't matter how great the implementation is.
- —Guest DannyDont@GMail.Com
web design versus web development
- Great explanation. We do both in our company, but we have employees that are better suited with development instead of design. In all cases, everyone has a professional knowledge of what their job is, but understands how to interact with design and scripting so the web site meets the clients wishes. We specialize with building static websites, but we sometimes have to use scripting for the navigation menus. A great example of this is www.svnaturally.com. The entire site is WYSIWYG based, but the client wanted to have a navigation that is expandable. We used PHP to achieve this. We had to use a special script for the shopping cart. It is the first site that I have seen that has a fully WYSIWYG design with a fully functional shopping cart. Please understand that this site is still in development. Lastly, we are using special scripting to develop a members section. This site is a true test of design and development. Yes indeed, there is a difference between design and development. Th
Designer vs Developer?
- A Web Designer oversees the project while the Web Developer does a lot of the coding and tricks to achieve the desired result.
Yes, Both are different
- Web designers are more to do with HTML, CSS and look and feel part. where as Web developers work on application part such as binding html components with java or .Net objects like in a typical eCommerce application.
- —Guest Abid