1. Computing

Jennifer Kyrnin

About.com Readers' Choice Awards 2011 Voting Has Closed

By February 11, 2011

null Readers have spoken, the nominations are in, and now here's your chance to choose which of these finalists will be voted best design, best web design software, and best hosting for 2011. The 2011 About.com Readers' Choice Awards voting has closed, check back on March 15, 2011 to learn who won in each category.

2011 Web Design Award Categories

Comments
March 1, 2011 at 11:46 am
(1) J Ross says:

Hi Guys and Gals,

Sorry to say this is not a good questionaire as it dances about and does not take you to your last question answered…… MDBNT.

Greetings from the UK

March 2, 2011 at 7:20 pm
(2) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll pass it on to the About.com designers who control that aspect of the polls and site.

March 7, 2011 at 11:18 am
(3) db says:

Jennifer, thank you for the survey. I think it was a good idea, however, it’s usefulness has been degraded by Coffee Cup soliciting it’s customers to go vote for Coffee Cup products.

I now know that if I see Coffee Cup placing high in a survey that it doesn’t mean much.

Actually I like their HTML Editor an would have voted for it had I not received an email from them encouraging me to vote for their product. Coffee Cup has reduced this to a fan boy contest.

I appreciate your work and don’t know how you can control survey manipulation by the competitors. Perhaps you can out a note by in their score that Coffee Cup campaigned their customers to get them to vote.

March 7, 2011 at 1:43 pm
(4) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

Thanks for the feedback.

However, I have seen lots of the finalists asking their customers to go out and vote. There is nothing intrinsically wrong with that. In fact, in the Best Windows HTML editor, I know that at least two of the other competitors have sent out requests to their customers asking for votes.

Now, if they set up some type of robot to vote for them, that would not be allowed, and we have scripts that we use to check the voting afterwords to make sure that votes are submitted by people, not by a script.

March 7, 2011 at 12:38 pm
(5) jcl says:

I agree, I am very disappointed in Coffee Cup for their campaign to the users of their product. Shame on them!

March 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm
(6) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

Honestly, I don’t think you should be disappointed in CoffeeCup. This is something that finalists in every category of the awards have done. And it is not against our rules. In fact, we encourage finalists to let their customers know about their nomination so they can get more votes. Some choose to promote it and others do not.

March 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm
(7) Gabi Clayton says:

db, I have a different take on that. I also received an email from CoffeeCup because I own much of their software. It is unlikely that I would have known about this poll if they had not sent that email.

I checked out the poll and voted in the categories I knew something about for the choice I thought were best. I felt no obligation to choose CoffeeCup but I did so in the two that they are in because those are the best to my knowledge of the ones that made the finals.

The other companies also may have campaigned if they were aware of the poll.

FYI I didn’t vote in the categories I didn’t know answers to and ones where my choice was not among those listed.

March 7, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(8) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

Thanks Gabi! That is exactly what I would hope most people would do. And as you say, other companies have campaigned, some better than others.

March 7, 2011 at 1:21 pm
(9) Fuji says:

And why shouldn’t coffee cup be able to do that? I think the competittion should do it also! They may have for all I know.

Coffee Cup user since 1998

Fuji

March 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm
(10) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

Thanks Fuji. As you say, the competition has done the same thing. But the CoffeeCup customers appear to be more loyal or there are more of you. :-)

Voting doesn’t end until March 8th and the winners will be announced on March 15th.

March 7, 2011 at 3:16 pm
(11) TRG says:

I only found out this poll from the Coffecup email. From a different perspective, it allows Coffecup customers to see if there is a better software product available. I have tried some of the other software products and so far the Coffecup software seems to be the better product. Of course in six months that may change. Products come and go. Coffecup does have excellent support and they keep updating their products which helps keep me loyal even if I stray and try out a competitors product..

March 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm
(12) alleycat says:

I too got an email from Coffeecup about their web editor and wouldn’t have known about the survey otherwise. I voted for them because I like the editor much more than the others – that’s why I use it!
I didn’t feel obliged to vote for them but their email spurred me on to look at the whole poll. Coffecup are in other categories and they didn’t always get my vote – where I feel another product is more useful.
Some of the comments make it sound like people are mindless sheep. The reason Coffeecup have more votes in some categories must surely be that their customers like the software – soliciting email or not.

March 7, 2011 at 4:03 pm
(13) Judy Sainsbury says:

If Coffee Cup hadn’t sent me an email I wouldn’t have known about this contest. Surely all manufacturers send out such emails to their registered users whenever there’s a contest. How else would you know about it? I’ve used Coffee Cup for years so of course I think it’s the best for me.
In fact compared with some of the other editors it fairly shines.

March 8, 2011 at 3:52 am
(14) Trevor (South Australia) says:

I whole heartedly agree with the above contributors.
I in the past have totally ignored “vote for us” emails sent out by Coffee Cup, but this time decided to have a look at this Readers choice awards web site.
I have been a Coffee Cup html Editor user since the late 90′s and wouldn’t use anything else. I too have strayed and peeked at other html editors and still came back to Coffee Cup. So they got my vote in 2 categories.

March 8, 2011 at 7:24 am
(15) .phil. says:

I got an email from Heart Internet asking to vote in the Reseller category. Having a couple of spare minutes, I took a look and agreed that Heart were indeed the best of the nominations. Voted and done, and because I use their services I’m happy that they’re winning!
I was somewhat disappointed about CoffeeCup being so far ahead in the web design tool category (colour matcher better than Photoshop? I think not), but that to me shows the readership is not necessarily web professionals, but consumers, small businesses and hobbyist site-makers. And that may be a very useful tool for all I know!

March 8, 2011 at 1:43 pm
(16) gatorhunter says:

First of all, coffeecup didn’t order anyone to vote, if you like it , vote for it is all it says. I wouldn’t have even know it was happening otherwise. secondly, they must be very proud and confident of their product or they wouldn’t take a chance on asking you to go to vote. I operate 3 businesses and it sounds like an appropriate thing to me.. my two cents. thanks

March 8, 2011 at 8:04 pm
(17) Larry Lawrence says:

I do not agree that all of the finalist did the same. I use 3 of the products – Only received an email from coffee cup – So I voted but not for coffee cup It rates third on the list of the products I use. To me it is stacking the deck unless everyone does the same – I definitely will not have any faith in this poll after this.

March 9, 2011 at 12:09 am
(18) Jennifer Kyrnin says:

@Larry: I contacted all of the finalists to let them know that I had graphics they could use to announce and promote their candidacy. In the case of the Windows editor competition, 4 out of the 5 finalists requested the badge. But from what I could see, only three made any effort to promote their nomination. That, however, was their choice, and not something that About.com or I could control. I don’t think that it should affect your opinion of the poll because some companies marketed it better than others.