The Bottom Line
- Does both whois and ping in the same app
- Checks the availability of domain names
- Stores favorite domain names
- Provides useful information about the domain's host
- Can't save favorites from the lookup page
- Ping wasn't always reliable in my tests
- Lookup a domain and learn the host name and address.
- Run a whois or ping on the domain.
- Visit the domain's website.
- See the address of the host, including latitude and longitude.
- View the location on a map.
- Check availability of domain names.
- Store favorites for future reference.
- Email results from any page.
- View a history of what you've looked up.
- Check availability on dozens of different top-level domains (.com, .net, .org, etc.).
Guide Review - Web Tools - iPhone App Review
Web Tools provides a lot of useful tools in one app. Looking up the host information can provide valuable resources for dealing with copyright violations, checking host status, and finding new domains.
It has a good price, but there are other apps that are cheaper or free that do the same things. And when I tried pinging servers that I knew were up, Web Tools wasn't always able to get any response. I thought it was a fluke at first, but it repeated several times over multiple days and domains. I could ping these domains from other ping clients.