The Bottom Line
- Huge amount of space
- Free phone support to speak with nice techs
- The ability to host 10+ different domain names with one account! (called "Add-Ons)
- Active user forums where people answer questions
- If someone signs up based on your recommendation you get paid ("affiliate" program)
- For the standard $7/month account you can wait up to 10 minutes for tech help.
- Two years ago they were down for an entire day a couple of times.
- Their "how to" instructions are sometimes outdated & give wrong advice (eg. script recommendations)
- At peak times you can wait a long time for tech support
- Their domain names are expensive if you want to buy in bulk
- Price: $1-$10 per month
- Type of Provider: Standard Web Hosting
- Operating System: Linux
- Server Software: PHP, Database, Perl, ASP, Ruby, SSI, Streaming media, SSL, Blogs, Other
- Analytics / Statistics: Yes
Guide Review - Lunarpages - Web Hosting Customer Review
Description - Services Provided
I am a web design teacher and have used many web hosts. For small websites by poor beginners I like DirectNic.com. But, once students need more robust features like forms, databases, blogs, video, etc. then I have had excellent luck with Lunarpages. If you buy service for a year it is only $7/month AND you get phone support by usually intelligent tech support!! A fantastic deal.
My students and I have found their tech support folks to be intelligent and not at all intimidating. On the other hand, the impatient, advanced user will go crazy with only a standard account, it isn't fast or reliable enough. You get what you pay for. For advanced beginners through intermediate users, Lunarpages is, in my experience, fantastic!
This review was not written by the About.com Guide to Web Design/HTML. Please remember that reviews are the opinion of the reviewer only, if you have a different opinion of the service please feel free to submit your own review.